Saturday, March 30, 2013

Hope for the Future

Hope for the future is found in trusting that God has our future in His hand and that all of our circumstances come through that Hand of Love. In 2003, my mother had been diagnosed with breast cancer. I spent most of the summer in Yakima, Washington, going to chemo treatments with her and helping prepare for a move closer to family. In the mornings, I would take a walk at a nearby school. At the beginning of my time there, God brought an old song to remembrance and it sustained me throughout the summer; and mom's subsequent death in the fall.

I don't know about tomorrow, 
I just live from day to day. 
I don't borrow from it's sunshine
For its skies may turn to gray.
I don't worry o're the future, 
For I know what Jesus said.
And today He walks beside me, 
For He knows what is ahead.
Many things about tomorrow,
 I don't seem to understand.
But I know Who holds tomorrow, 
And I know Who holds my hand.
 
A passage I read to mom often that summer was the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5 - 7.  Chapter 6, starting at verse 25, reminds us to not worry about what we will eat, drink, or wear. Consider the birds and how the Father feeds them, and the flowers that are lovelier than Solomon's glory. Surely God can take care of us.

 Why should I be discouraged? 
Why should the shadows come?
Why should my heart grow weary 
And long for heaven and home?
When Jesus is my portion.  
My constant friend is He.
His eye is on the sparrow 
And I know He watches me.

We need to remember that God is already in the future. He knows our needs and is in the business of caring for us. All of God's promises are true, but we must have a mind committed to trusting, believing, and not listening to the lies of Satan.  This comes by reading, meditating, memorizing the Word and communicating with our Father.

Why worry, when you can pray?
Trust Jesus, He'll be your stay.
Don't be a doubting Thomas.
Rest fully in His promise.
Why worry, worry, worry ,worry, 
When you can pray?

Matthew 6:33 and 34 says to not worry about tomorrow for it will take care of itself, but seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all the things we really need will be given.
May you trust in the Father and have a hope - a positive expected end - for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment